Ah, the noisy neighbor. Having neighbors in close proximity is one of the joys of urban apartment dwelling. Sitcoms have been based on this exact situation for decades. Friends, Seinfeld, The Jeffersons, The Big Bang Theory. The list could go on and on. While there are many benefits to having neighbors, like, having someone close by to leave a spare set of keys with, someone to feed your cat or walk your dog or just someone to make you not feel alone in the big old city. There can be some bummer aspects as well; Loud music seeping through the floorboards, a lonely pet waiting for their owner to get home whining, a loud party you were not invited to.
As long as these are not constant problems, these quick tips should help you make it through the night without starting a war.
- White Noise – There is always the good old-fashioned fan to drown out the noise. And…Of course there is an app for that! Check out Simply Noise. The website states, “White noise is the most effective at blocking distractions because it covers the largest spectrum range. It’s great for reading, writing, studying, and anything else that requires focus.”
- Block it out – Curtains and carpets are great ways to soak up some sounds. Not only will area rugs help block some sound from surrounding apartments, you will seem quieter to your neighbors as well. Seal all openings you can. This will help with city noise in general.
- Move your furniture – This might be the same as “Block it out”, but if your bed is against the offending wall, move it. You can also add a heavy curtain to the wall to help soak up the sound before it gets to you.
- Earplugs – If you live in the city and ever go to see a band play, you should have these anyway. Here is a pretty extensive list of earplugs and links to purchase.
- Talk it out – It can’t hurt! A simple note under the door or a quick conversation can work wonders. They may have no idea they are keeping you up. If you do that and the problem persists, call your property manager.
Do you have other noisy neighbor blocking tips? Share in the comments.