Fall is my favorite time of year and decorating is always about bringing the outside in. So when I decided to Fall-up the lobby mantle here at the Uptown Regency, I chose to keep the colors and feel of the décor exactly that… organic and simple.
The most important tip for decorating a mantle is to keep it balanced. Nothing to heavy or tall on one side if you aren’t balancing the other side.
Here I just started layering… first some green leaves and tree limbs… then the pumpkins, squash, lemons and other natural elements. I positioned the lanterns and then decided I needed something tall on either side. I chose the two tall vases with the sunflowers to tie in all the colors and textures. And the finished project is perfect for fall right thru Thanksgiving. Maybe you prefer Halloween décor instead… just remember if you do a mantle for that you will have to change it again once November 1 hits… and then again after Thanksgiving. This mantle will get you through the end of November without much upkeep. Enjoy this wonderful time of year!
Recently, I moved from a three-bedroom home to a one-bedroom apartment. I had to get rid of a lot of stuff… and it was hard! Now, with a lighter load so to speak, I feel my apartment looks better than my house did and has the illusion of a bigger space.
Maybe you are moving into your first place or like myself, are downsizing. How will you make this small apartment feel like a bigger space and still feel like home? Here are five tips that worked for me…
- Plants add color and freshness to a home. I love having fresh flowers and a few green plants in my space. (Farmer’s Market season!) The green color really pops with the lighter palette.
- Less is more. With my new space I didn’t feel the need to cover every wall with pictures. I wanted it to feel homey without being overdone. I left space on the walls, on the tables, etc. I picked my very favorites things to display and saved the rest or donated it.
- Lighten up the colors in your small space. As you can see(photo below), I chose a white, beige, gray color scheme and it feels lighter and spacious because of it. An accent wall in a darker color is great but lighter walls will give a more spacious illusion.
- Ceiling to floor curtains add height and make the room appear bigger. I just love my striped curtains and how they give height and pattern to my living room and bedroom.
- Furniture size is important in a small space. Choose furniture that is smaller scale, so you aren’t crowded by large, over-sized pieces that make it difficult to move around. Have defined walkways.
These are a few suggestions for making your new, smaller space work efficiently and give you the warm feeling of home. I often find inspiration on blogs too. A couple of my favorites are Thistlewood Farm and Finding Home. Share your tips in the comments. Happy Decorating!
- Amy France-Vena is not only a Horizon Realty Group property manager, she is also a resident! Amy is a certified stager and before joining Horizon, she had her own staging company. Her skills have certainly come in handy at the property she manages, The Uptown Regency. Looking for a new home with a built-in manager/decorator? Find Amy there!
Once it starts to get warm in Chicago, we try to spend as much time outside as possible. That means patio time in Chicago dining al fresco. It is going to be in the 60’s this weekend, which feels like the 90’s to us after our brutal cold winters. We wanted to share some great places in our north side neighborhoods where you can dine outside. This is just a small sampling. Share ones you love in the comments.
Gather – 4539 N. Lincoln Ave – Website
Gather has an adorable covered patio in back. They are participating in Chef Week April 17th through April 22nd. During this week they are offering a prix-fixe menu! Time Out Magazine describes one of their desserts served in a cast-iron skillet as “a soft, buttery mess of dough and caramel.” Yum.
The Fireside – 5739 N. Ravenswood – Website
Tucked away along the trains tracks in Ravenswood you’ll find The Fireside. They have a year-round patio in back and a small seasonal one right in front. Their beer list is outstanding!
La Cazuela – 6922 N. Clark – Website
La Cazuela boasts breakfast wraps and Mexican food. When I scoured the internet for reviews, many people rave about their garden seating…and the seafood.
Heartland Cafe – 7000 N. Glenwood – Website
With adorable sidewalk patio seating, Heartland Cafe has been serving “good wholesome food for the mind and body in Rogers Park” for over 35 years. Time Out Chicago also lists it as one of Chicago’s Essential Restaurants. They offer vegetarian and vegan food! You might see me here this weekend. 🙂
Tweet – 5020 N. Sheridan – Website
Patio? Check. Bloody Marys and Mimosas? Check. Brunch menu? Check. Tweet is located steps away from our Uptown Regency property and offers veggie and gluten free options. Come back at night and visit their bar, Big Chicks right next door for drinks and dancing!
Did you know our building, Sheridan Plaza at 4607 N. Sheridan was once a grand hotel that opened in 1921? The Cubs and teams they played often stayed there. Imagine living in a slice of Chicago history! One and Two-bedrooms available.
***One Month FREE with lease that ends 4/30/17 or 1/2 month FREE with lease that ends 7/31/16.
2.3.16 – This promotion has now ended.
Call today! 773.529.7200
Read more about when the Cubs lived in Uptown!
It’s getting cold in Chicago, but we have an offer to have you dreaming of tropical breezes! For a short time when you sign an 18 month lease at Kenmore Place, Elmhurst Terrace, Oakdale Terrace or Barry Court, you will receive a Luxury Cruise Certificate*.
This luxury cruise for two includes an interior stateroom (based on double occupancy), all gourmet meals and snacks, 24 hour complimentary room service, a wide range of nightly entertainment (Las Vegas style shows), all onboard activities, a state-of-the-art fitness center, plus fabulous international cities to visit and shop. Upgrades such as an ocean view room, balcony room, an extended cruise, bringing kids or traveling with another couple are available at special group rates through AIM Cruises.
Call today to tour one of the mentioned properties!
* Restrictions and fees apply. Restrictions and fees apply. This offer is valid only for NEW RESIDENTS who sign a 18-month lease at Kenmore ,Elmhurst Terrace, Oakdale Terrace or Barry Court. Not valid at any other Horizon property. Not valid with any other promotion. Applicant must mention this promotion before submitting application. Valid only if leased through Horizon property manager or Horizon leasing agent. No cash value. Cruise Certificate- recipient is responsible for port charges, taxes, customs and fulfillment fees and getting to and from port of choice. See cruise certificate for full details. Ask property manager or Horizon leasing agent for promotion details.