Everything you would want in a luxury, downtown high-rise with a neighborhood feel can be found in Edgewater at “The District @ Sheridan” – the latest Chicago development by Horizon Realty Group. The revitalized, 80-unit apartment building at 5536 N. Sheridan Road marked its first move-ins on April 1.
Horizon’s transformation of the dated building, constructed in 1966, to a contemporary delight has taken two years and $5 million, as the company continues its tradition of giving a second life to Second City’s nostalgic buildings.
Located in the Bryn Mawr Historic District, just across Sheridan Road from the legendary Edgewater Beach Hotel, The District can lay claim to being one of the edgiest and most upscale apartment buildings in Edgewater.
It consists of 40 one-bedroom units (600 to 717 square feet, starting at $1,408), 32 studios (350 to 431 square feet, starting at $1,139), and eight two-bedroom units (830 square feet, starting at $2,179).
“We are really proud of what we’ve accomplished with The District,” explained Jeffrey Michael, Horizon’s chief operating officer. “We wanted to create a living space that was infused with a strong sense of hospitality – a boutique hotel feel. We designed around people’s desire to spend more time in their community spaces.”
Horizon purchased the building in January 2017 and performed a full gut rehab. The extensive upgrade encompassed installing all new plumbing, electrical, windows, walls, flooring, lighting, kitchens and bathrooms, all other finishes, elevators, and HVAC systems that include independently controlled air conditioning and radiant floors in every unit.
The District also has 28 heated indoor garage spaces, 17 outdoors spaces and ample bicycle storage. Finishes for each of the apartments include an in-unit, stackable washer and dryer, stainless steel appliances, modern plumbing fixtures, quartz countertops, tiled bathrooms, and oak hardwood floors throughout.
The transformation is akin to what Horizon did a few blocks away at The Edge @ Sheridan, 5910 N. Sheridan Road, a 36-unit building that the company purchased in 2016, took 18 months to complete gut and rebuild, and is now fully leased.
The District @ Sheridan Building Amenities:
- Resident lounge featuring board games, mid-century modern furniture, and a large-screen television with surround sound (that can be accessed via Bluetooth).
- State-of-the-art fitness center, available 24/7, with two treadmills, an elliptical machine, and free weights.
- Self-service dog spa that features a barber shop design. It includes an All Paws Pet Wash grooming and pet wash station and is provided for free to all residents.
- LuxerOne electric locker system that provides convenient and secure package-receiving and storage. When a package is delivered, rather than being left unattended in the lobby, it is stored in a locker and an e-mail with a randomly generated code is sent to the recipient.
- Technology: Complimentary high-speed internet throughout the building; safe and easy access to common areas with a key fob; and security cameras.
- Butterfly video intercom system that employs a touch screen for visitors to have their photo taken and transmitted to residents’ smartphones. This safety feature ensures that residents know who is at the door.
New tenants began moving into the completed, 40 units on the north side of The District @ Sheridan. The 40 units on the south side of the building will be completed and ready for move-in by May 1.